Post Surgical care Instructions
POST SURGICAL INSTRUCTIONS
- Do not use a drinking straw, spit or use mouthwash (Scope, Listerine, etc.) for 3 days after surgery. 24 hours after surgery, use warm salt water or Periogard (if prescribed) in a gentile soaking action, allowing the excess to fall out of the mouth. The pressure built-up in the mouth by straws & spitting can cause dry sockets.
- During the first 3 days after surgery, drink plenty of fluids (at least an average of 8oz. per hour) and eat soft foods (i.e. yogurt; scrambled eggs; mashed sweet potatoes; etc.) This is crucial for post-surgery recovery and healing, and will decrease nausea, vomiting and dizziness after surgery. The more you eat and drink, the better you will feel.
- No smoking, chewing tobacco or alcoholic beverages for 5 days (smoking may cause “dry sockets”).
- Pain Management: Take ALL medications as directed. Take 600mg (3 over-the-counter tablets) of Ibuprofen (Motrin) 4 times per day at breakfast, lunch, dinner and right before bed. Continue this for 3-5 days. Consistency is key to minimizing swelling and discomfort. If additional pain management is needed, you can take 1 dose of Tylenol up to 3 times per day halfway between doses of Ibuprofen. If discomfort is still unmanageable, please call your doctor.
- Sutures are customarily dissolvable and will not need to be removed unless directed.
- Limit all activities accordingly for 3-5 days. It is important to keep blood pressure down to help initial healing.
- Maintain good oral hygiene. Brush twice daily and gently rinse to remove toothpaste. You may gently dab the surgical site(s) with a toothbrush after 3 or 4 days.
- After implant placement, maintain a soft diet for 6 weeks. Avoid excessive forces on implant site(s) for 3 months.
You SHOULD Expect You Should NOT Expect
Mild bleeding Severe Hemorrhaging
Swelling (should peak 2-3 days) Fever associated w/chills
Muscle stiffness w/limited mouth opening Severe chills
Slight temperature Respiratory difficulties
Some discomfort for up to 1 week
On behalf of our entire dental team, we are dedicated to providing you with the optimal oral health care throughout your post-surgery healing process.