Post Surgical care Instructions
POST SURGICAL INSTRUCTIONS
- Do not use a drinking straw, spit or use mouthwash (Scope, Listerine, etc.) for 1 week after surgery. If Periogard was prescribed, begin using after bleeding subsides with a gentle soaking action or as directed.
- Drink plenty of fluids (at least an average of 8oz. per hour) and eat soft foods (i.e. yogurt; scrambled eggs; mashed sweet potatoes; etc.) This is crucial for post-surgery recovery and healing.
- No smoking, chewing tobacco or alcoholic beverages for 7 days (smoking may cause “dry sockets”)
- Take ALL medications as directed.
- Sutures are customarily dissolvable and will not need to be removed unless directed.
- Limit all activities accordingly.
- Maintain good oral hygiene. Brush twice daily and gently rinse to remove toothpaste. You may gently dab the surgical site(s) with a toothbrush after 3 or 4 days.
- After implant placement, maintain a soft diet for 4 weeks. Avoid excessive forces on implant site(s) for 3 months.
You SHOULD Expect You Should NOT Expect
Mild bleeding Severe Hemorrhaging
Swelling ( 2-3 days) Fever associated w/chills
Muscle stiffness w/limited mouth opening Severe chills
Slight temperature Respiratory difficulties
Soreness Sharp pain and/or throbbing
On behalf of our entire dental team, we are dedicated to providing you with the optimal oral health care throughout your post-surgery healing process.