care Instructions FOR Immediate DentureS
The first 24 hours Changes in the mouth
Immediate dentures were made to fit the anticipated shape of your mouth after your teeth have been extracted. Modifications to the immediate denture are always necessary and will continue during the healing period. Many changes have occurred all at once. As a result, there will be an adjustment period of approximately one week to ten days before the immediate dentures feel more comfortable.
The first 24 hours
- It is very important to keep the immediate denture in the mouth for 24 hours beginning the same day of placement of the prosthetic appliance.
- The denture serves as a dressing to help stop bleeding. If the denture is removed, there may be difficulty putting it back in the mouth due to swelling of the tissue.
Changes in the mouth
- Patients may experience some of the following commonly known symptoms that occur when an immediate denture is delivered.
Mild Swelling Difficulty Swallowing
Increase in Saliva Mouth Odor
Speech Alteration Minor Bleeding
Discomfort Difficulty Chewing
- All of the symptoms mentioned above can be resolved once becoming more familiar with the new prosthesis. As minor adjustments become necessary please contact our office and schedule an appointment with Drs. Scruggs or Molina.
First post-delivery appointment
- Usually the next day or within the first week, our doctors will want to adjust the denture to avoid sore areas, the bite and any other initial problems.
- Further instructions for the use and care of the dentures will also be provided during this appointment.
- As the healing process continues the dentures will occasionally become loose due to the normal shrinkage of the gums from healing. This will be adjusted as needed until the healing is complete.
- When healing is completed, a final denture will be constructed, or the immediate dentures will be relined as previously discussed with our doctors. These procedures will be the second phase of the dental rehabilitation process.
- The first scheduled appointment after receiving the immediate dentures is a very important office visit. Our doctors will treat any sore tissues or make adjustments as needed at that time.
- Several return appointments may be necessary until you are completely comfortable.